Okay, so I guess the first thing I should do is address the elephant in the room. #blogmas2105 turned non-existent after the 5th day. To be perfectly honest, I didn’t plan that very well. It was sort of a whim that I had on the last day of November. Maybe I’ll try again next year. If I do, I will plan things out a little better and start working on it a little sooner.
We’ll see what happens 11 months from now…
So I thought to get back in the swing of things, I would do another one of those 10 things about me kinds of posts. If you know me, you know that I love lists. I have done posts like this twice before. My first one, and then this other one. I like doing them. Hopefully you like reading them.
So without further ado, just in case you didn’t know enough about me…just in case I don’t share enough of my life online, I give you: “Another 10 Facts About Me!”
- One of my favourite sounds in the world is the sound of an orchestra tuning up. It likely relates back to my love of music and musical theatre in particular. I have many wonderful memories from sitting in various theatres waiting for shows to start. A lot of people may think this is strange, but that’s okay.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfSH1ezevjM
- My favourite snack food is popcorn. It goes back to when I was a little kid and I used to have sleepovers at the Bush with Memere and Pepere. Memere would make us popcorn. When I was very young, she would pop kernels on the stove top in oil. We progressed through the trends with Jiffy Pop, the hot air popper, and eventually microwave popcorn. I also have a long standing tradition with my buddy Renee, we used to have sleepovers and eat mountains of popcorn, usually different flavours. I can’t watch a movie at the theatre without it, and Nicholas definitely got my love for the stuff. He shoves it in by the handful – just like his mama!
- I love old folks. This is something that I realized in the last while. I mean, I never didn’t like the elderly, but about a year and a half ago, I started working in a Long Term Care facility. In that time, I have met several elderly people, and their families. I have really realized how awesome they are, and how important Long Term Care is. I have developed attachments to these folks and one of the best parts of my job is seeing them every day.
- I really suck at decorating cakes. I have mentioned in other posts how much I love baking. Obviously much of this blog is devoted to food. I love to bake, and most of what I bake tastes really, really good. (So I’m told, I’ve never tasted any of it 😉 ). But when it comes to decorating, be it cakes, cupcakes, cookies, whatever, I find it’s better to leave that to the professionals. I have made several Birthday cakes, but any time I have ever tried decorating, or writing on them, it often looks like a toddler did it. I would love to take a cake decorating course sometime, I think it would be fun, and I have lots to learn. Maybe someday. Until then, the pros will continue to make good money from me at Birthday time.
- I know that I have mentioned this before, but I am totally obsessed with water bottles and travel mugs. I have so many of them. Plastic ones, glass ones, stainless steel ones, I have them all. Coloured, clear, blinged out, I love (and have) them all. My most recent purchase was a S’well bottle. I had heard a lot of hype about them and finally had to get one. I luckily had gift cards from Christmas that helped me to pay for it, because it wasn’t cheap. It really does deliver on its promises though. I fill it up with water from the fridge and put it on my bedside table, and if I don’t drink it all before I go to bed, I will wake up in the morning to water that is just as cold as it was when I poured it. It keeps cold beverages cold for up to 24 hours, and is supposed to keep hot beverages hot for up to 12 hours. I haven’t tested that yet, but will be.
- I am obsessed with planners and planning. I have had a million planners in my lifetime. At work, I have a desk size DayTimer that I use daily to help me keep myself together, but I have used other planners, including the beautiful Erin Condren Life Planners. I also use an online calendar (Google Calendar) which I access online, on my phone, on my iPad etc. I have tried no less than 20 different calendar apps on my phone looking for the right one. My current fave is Pocket Informant. I go into Staples and I can spend forever in the planner section, browsing the inserts and the colourful tabs and dividers.
- I love swimming. We know the beach is my happy place. Ever since I was a child I loved being in the water. As soon as the weather warms up, I try to spend as much time in the water as possible. One of the many reasons I love Great Wolf Lodge. 🙂
- I like to binge – TV watching that is. I get into a show on Netflix and I don’t stop till I’m done. Some of the shows I have binge watched that I love: Orange is the New Black, House of Cards, Friends, Charmed, Grey’s Anatomy, Modern Family, and many others. It’s a great way to spend a weekend where you’re sick or cooped up inside because of snow or other bad weather.
- I am a bookworm. We know this. I love books, I own many books. Many, many books. But lately, my book life has changed somewhat. Evolved, if you will. I used to spend a lot of money on books. That is an understatement actually. It was nothing for me to go to Chapters or any other bookstore and come out with a sack full of books. Honestly, I was actually buying them faster than I could possibly read them. But there is always new things coming out, and due to this, I still have several books that I have not read, and honestly will likely never read now, as I bought them years ago and I have lost interest in them now. Also, I don’t buy nearly as many books now because I just don’t have the money anymore to spend on them (you know, bills and all) and probably 95% of the books I read last year I borrowed from my local library. Due to all this, I am planning a major book purge in the spring. When/as I do this, I have a post planned as well. So stay tuned, and watch this space.
- I am online. A LOT. Aside from books, and sports (both of which I consume a lot of), most of the content I consume is online. I’m a regular on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. I read content from several newspapers tech blogs and news sites, often via Flipboard, on my phone or iPad. I watch A LOT of YouTube, whether it is catching up on the 200+ channels that I subscribe to, watching last night’s Tonight Show as I get ready for work, finding new things to read on BookTube, etc. Several of the shows I watch I either watch on Netflix, or streamed from the various network websites. I love the online world, and support Team Internet fully. This is the way the world is going, and there is so much out there, ripe for the taking, if you weed through all the other crap.
So there you go! 10 more things about me that you didn’t need to know, maybe didn’t want to know, but hey, now you know! Hey, hopefully I provided a little bit of distraction from the Super Bowl, if you were looking for one.
I hope you have a fantastic week, and if you celebrate the Lunar New Year, I hope you have a Happy New Year, and that the year of the Monkey is a fabulous one!